[NOTE: I am aware that this feature is available in "Xiosis Scribe", however their approach to this appears to be somewhat lacking and IMHO disappointing. Also, the closed source nature of their system pisses me of]
I decided to try and implement this by building a custom dictionary for hunspell. This approach has several advantages too great to be ignored. a) it eliminates the need to write the spell-check engine from the ground up. b) It provides immediate integration into software like openoffice and firefox (and potentially even MSWord) to name a few. Of course there is the risk that it might not be able to handle dhivehi's "rules" - but as I always say if the Arabs and the Hebrews can do it - and it has been done - then so can we.
So I used the scripts I wrote for The Radheef project to generate words, and wrote a simple affix file to munch it down with. Using a dictionary comprising of all the "headwords" in the Radheef, and this affix file I was able to obtain some promising results - enough to convince me that it just may be possible to achieve reasonable results using Hunspell.
and the saga continues...
|The contents of the Affix file|
|The test file to run the spell check on|
|We give hunspell a chance to process it...|
|and this is the resulting output ("misspelled" words with their suggestions)|
I hope I got the attention of some talented young out there and hope that you take an interest in this.